My friend Sam, who I game with every week, pointed me to this saucy little minx (thanks, Sam!): The Dungeonomicon, a lengthy thread on the WotC forums that attempts to justify, explain and tweak dungeons, along with a variety of other fantasy RPG staples.
It’s broken down into sections, but the original thread has no direct links to each section. Let’s remedy that by linking to the foundation posts individually here.
Tools for Fantasy RPGs (not just D&D)
- Constructanomicon – The whys and wherefores of dungeons
- Dungeons of Note – Nifty sample dungeons
- Economicon: Making Sense of the Gold Standard – Paper money, wish spells and fantasy economics
- Thermodymaninomicon: The G of Life Continues – Why there’s life in the Underdark and at the bottom of the ocean
- Socialnomicon: Heroes in the Greek Sense – Nobility in level-based games, what D&D heroes are really like
- Lexiconinomicon: Things to Talk About – Languages in D&D
- Characternomicon – Class tweaks
- Prestige Classes – New PrCs
- Maginomicon – Spell fixes, balancing non-spellcasting classes
There’s a lot of interesting food for thought in this thread — hopefully you’ll get some good mileage out of it!