If 2022 could be summed up on a d20 dice roll, it would have been a 3.
Between ER visits, surgery #1, post-operative complications, more ER visits, car troubles, pet illnesses (our eldest cat was diagnosed with diabetes and now requires shots twice a day), medical appointments, a referral to an out-of-town research hospital, more car troubles, a cranky and unreliable laptop computer, consultations, and surgery #2, this was the year that this PC travelled tougher and uncharted terrain of this crazy dungeon crawl we call life.
Why did I not say 2022 was a critical miss? Although Constitution was -2 and hit points were low, I made all my saving throws and was fortunate enough to wake up from both procedures, leaving drafty hospital gowns and daytime television behind for flannel pajamas and welcomed seasons of Andor, Boba Fett, Mandalorian, and Obi-Wan.
Despite all the distractions, I was able to accomplish some gaming goals this past year, and have some goals for 2023:
Gaming Highlights of 2022
- Writing for Gnome Stew! This is my 10th post, and including this one, I co-wrote and/or wrote nine of them in 2022. It’s been a joy to discover unique topics about gaming and to write for a wide audience. I’ve learned a lot about blogging, gaming, and writing from the other Gnomes. (Thank you for working with me.)
- Reading and finishing two amazing in-depth books on RPGs: Slaying the Dragon by Ben Riggs and Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons and Dragons and the People who Play It by David M. Ewalt. A bonus for me, not necessarily for him, was meeting Ben Riggs in an elevator on accident and fangirling over his book before he could finish his first cup of coffee.
- Playing RPGs with friends, attending Gen Con in Indianapolis, and participating in more events.
Goals for 2023
- Becoming a proud owner of a fancy dice tray, since an upcycled, cardboard tray doesn’t quite suffice anymore.
- Hoping to start a new campaign (5e) as a DM.
- Playing more RPGs with friends, attending Gen Con in Indianapolis, and participating in the Orc Stomp.
- Purchasing one of the Gnome Stew t-shirts from the merch store. (I’ve been eyeing them for a while.)
- Researching and writing more unique articles for Gnome Stew.
What was your biggest achieved RPG goal(s) in 2022? What do you hope to accomplish in 2023?
Thanks for the post, and I hope 2023 is a lot better than this past year for you. For myself, I hope to outline a 3-4 year campaign in 2023 as two of my players take the GM chair for a two-year period or so. It’s going to be a little nuts to get it all done, but I have a lot of time to think and prepare, so that’s a plus. I even have a title for the campaign — The Destiny War. Hyperbole keeps me inspired…
Wish me luck –and luck to you as well.
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Yes, I am anticipating an improved 2023! I think that’s great that you are rotating the GM spot. Once you have finished the background work, you will be able to relax and enjoy playing. It will be a good chance for your players to grow as well. I am looking forward to taking the plunge into DMing! Sending you all the luck and good vibes!